About Me

Minneapolis, MN, United States

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Christmas Cactus

Three years ago my mom gave me a cutting of her Christmas Cactus and over the past 3 years it really hasn't grown much and it has only bloomed once. A few weeks ago I brought it in from outside so when it got cold it wouldn't freeze. That is when I noticed small little buds stating to form on the tips of the cactus. Needless to say I was very excited! Now it has a few blooms open and more to come. Hopefully I can get it to bloom again soon!

1 comment:

Melaney said...

Hello again Jillian - just saw your Christmas cactus post and couldn't resist adding another comment. I just wrote about mine too. Love them!

Here's what I do: water deeply and thoroughly, then allow to dry out completely before watering again. I use a basic houseplant fertilizer about 3 times a year: when the last blooms have fallen off, spring, and mid-summer. Mine has thrived best in morning to mid-day sun, but not hot afternoon sun.

I know there are special things to do specifically for these plants but I don't have the mental bandwidth to remember them so I just stick with the basics. And mine has lived 30 years so far...