About Me

Minneapolis, MN, United States

Friday, June 18, 2010

Cat Update 2

Things do change quickly! Yesterday I had to take Heidegger into the vet. He had some goop in his left eye and the Vet said his eye may be scratched and to bring him in. We got to the Vet and they first started looking at his eye. The Vet used some sort of florescent dye and a black light to look in the cat's eye. He couldn't find anything but the eye was swollen. The Vet then checked the cat's temperature....He had a fever. With the fever and eye infection the Vet decided to look for any abrasions on the cat....He found TONS of bite marks from other cats! Some were more recent than others and Heidegger flinched when the Vet touched some of them. Because of all the bites, the infected eye, and the fever... the Vet decided to give Heidegger an IV bag and some eye drops to help with the infection.

All of this made me feel like a bad pet owner! My poor cat was attacked by other cats and I didn't even know! The Vet told me that if he could give cat owners one piece of advice he would tell them "Never let your cat outside." He said that cats get in fights all the time and that often timed the bites lead to infections. Which leads to visits to the Vet and money spent. Last nights visit was $105.

Needless to say, my cat is not going outside ever again. One, because I don't want him to get hurt and two because we cant afford $100+ Vet bills. Most of all I feel horrible for my poor cat that was in pain and didn't feel well. He was such a sad sight to see last night.

No comments: