About Me

Minneapolis, MN, United States

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Asheville

Eric and I had such a great time in Asheville last weekend that I wish we could go back this weekend! I think I could live there :) Apparently mid-October was the time to go to the small town in North Carolina...the leaves were in peak color. I couldn't believe how many red, yellow, and orange trees I saw! I think it has been a while since I have truly seen Fall color like this. It was great!



Like last year we stayed at the Sweet Biscuit Inn which is in a cute little neighborhood on a hill in South Asheville. The owners Robert and Angela are great hosts and wonderful cooks! The breakfast each morning was wonderful. One of my favorite things about the Sweet Biscuit Inn is that every room has an old clawfoot bathtubs...which meant that I took a bath every day!



We arrived in Asheville around 2pm on Friday afternoon. It was a rainy day so we ducked in and out of shops for about an hour before we could check-in at 3. After checking into the Inn we relaxed on the front porch for a little while before heading back to Downtown. We had a wonderful dinner at Tupelo Honey Cafe. I had the famous Cheesy Grill (fancy for grilled cheese with two kinds of cheese of your choice, I had cheddar and Havarti) and tomato soup, perfect for a rainy day! Eric had the Charleston Chicken Sandwich which was also yummy. After dinner we caught the new Michael Moore movie at a small theater downtown. It was a great movie and I recommend everyone to see it. After the movie we went to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge for some yummy chocolate desserts. I have to say...everything looked amazing and I would have liked to try it all!! After dessert, it was late so we decided to head back to the Inn for some R&R.

Saturday morning, the rain had left us and it was a beautiful and crisp Fall morning. We had a eggs, sausage, and sweet potato biscuits for breakfast. After breakfast we went to the NC Arboretum. We spent the morning there hiking and looking at some of the gardens. There were a ton of beautiful trees here. Below are some pictures from the Arboretum.






After hiking around we started to look for a place to eat lunch. We ended up at Luella's BBQ, all I have to say is A-mazing! The BBQ was very good and the hush puppies were delicious! I do love me some hush puppies!! :) After lunch we spend the afternoon relaxing at the Inn. Before heading to dinner we walked around down town to kill some time. They have some of the best shops downtown Asheville. One of my favorites was Chocolate Fetish (I know... another chocolate place) where they have all different kinds of chocolate truffles. We got a few to have after dinner. For dinner we went to Table, a local farm to table restaurant downtown. I think both Eric and I would agree that it was the best food we have eaten in a long time. I had the hanger steak which was served with the best cauliflower I have ever had and Eric had the lamb chops. After dinner we went back to the Inn and watched The Godfather Part II while eating our chocolate and drinking some wine.

Sunday was our last day at the Inn. We had delicious cranberry walnut french toast for breakfast served with bacon. Angela really out did herself on this one. It was fabulous!! After breakfast we took a walk around the neighborhood then packed up and started our trek back home. Before hitting the road we went to a store that Angela and Robert recommended to us that sells 2nd condition Fiestaware. I was super excited to get my hands on some cheap Fiestaware! Who cares if it has a bubble or two on it from the glaze!?! Unfortunately, they didn't have a whole lot of 2nd condition Fiestaware but they had a TON of brand new pieces. I left a little disappointed but with three more pieces to add to my collection.



We took the Cherokee scenic highway back home from NC. Along the way we spotted Table Rock Mountain in SC. We had to stop and take pictures because of how beautiful it was! I think we will be taking a trip here soon to do a little hiking. I am sure the view from the top would have been amazing with all the leaves changing!

1 comment:

Matt and Katie Moore said...

Very pretty! I think I'm going to Ashville next month for the first time, so this is getting me really excited!