About Me

Minneapolis, MN, United States

Monday, May 31, 2010

Strawberry Jam Procrastination.

This week has been hard to do homework and study when I want to be reading for fun, cooking and cleaning around the house, playing outside, and looking for jobs for when I graduate in 9 weeks. I think I have found a ton of ways to procrastinate studying for my finance class. One of which was to make Strawberry Jam. As you might remember, a few weeks ago Eric and I went strawberry picking and picked 2 gallons of strawberries. Well some of these strawberries were frozen for smoothies and jam making. I like to make freezer jam and it is SOO easy!

Here is what you need:
4 Cups Sugar
2 Cups smashed strawberries (like I said, I use my frozen ones so they have to be thawed first)
2 Tbs of lemon juice
1 Packet of Pectin



5-6 cleaned jam jars with self sealing lids
1 Ladle
1 funnel (makes it a lot less messy!)



In a large sauce pot mix together the sugar, strawberries, and lemon juice.




You want this to cook hot so I usually have my stove up all the way. Bring the sugar fruit mixture to a rolling boil (this is when it keeps boiling even after you stir it). Mix in pectin and stir for 1 minuet.

Remove from heat and skim off any foam that might appear on top. Use the ladle and funnel to pour mix into jam jars. Leave about a 1/2 inch room on top.



Fill up all of your jars.




Then screw on lids tightly (please use an oven mit or towel to hold onto the jars...they will be HOT!). Now leave out to cool down on the counter. Once cooled place in the freezer for storage. The Jam will last one year in the freezer and a few weeks in the refrigerator.

Good luck Jamming!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strawberry jam sounds good!!